May 06, 2007

What Is An "Evangelical"?

Thabiti has a great post over at Pure Church regarding an "evangelical" re-entering the Roman Catholic church. At the end of his post, he finished with this question: "What is an evangelical?"

Now that's an interesting question isn't it. And one that should make for interesting discussions. So I wanted to offer my thoughts and then get yours as well. I'm going to present a list and as you read this list ask yourself this question:

If I take this one away, OR don't believe this one, can I still be considered an evangelical Christian?

  • Sola Gratia
  • Sola Fide
  • Sola Scriptura
  • Solus Christus
  • Soli Deo Gloria
  • Virgin Birth
  • Sinless Life
  • Penal Substitutionary Atonement
  • Gender Distinctions
  • Hell
  • Literal Bodily Resurrection
  • Trinity
  • Original Sin

What are some that I have missed in your opinion? What are some that need to be added? How would you formulate a "Statement Of Faith" to define what an evanglical is?

No comments: