May 26, 2007

Dealing With Disappointment

We've all had them. Those days. Days where disappointment and failure blemish the beautiful day that God has made. Today was my turn. Something I really had my heart set on, was looking forward to, and something that would mean a lot to me is now NOT going to happen.

That's the disappointment. Needless to say the failures as a husband and a father I displayed today didn't help matters either. There are just days where you get the wheels in a ditch and you can not get back out. Days that take such a wrong turn, you're grateful that God gave us sleep as a daily reminder of our weakness and as a great "reset" button of our lives.

So as I sat here tonight wondering what the Bible had to say about disappointment, I typed in the words "disappointed", "despair", and "sad" into Blue Letter Bible. Ultimately, I ended up in Job. Job was disappointed. He had every right to be. He was sad. He despaired. He lost everything valuable to him in this world. He reasons with men throughout most of the book. he both rebukes and is rebuked. He despairs and attempts to reason with God. He knows God has did this but also puts God on the spot.

The answer God gives in Chapter 38 is the answer I need to read every day. Whether things seem to be going my way or not, these words (and they are just a small part of God's answer to Job) should always effect humility and submission in me. God I have no idea why You do what You do. It really doesn't matter that I know. You are God the Father. I am not. Your ways are higher than my ways. Help me always to remember and to trust in You. Amen

Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind and said:
2“Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?
3Dress for action [fn1] like a man;I will question you, and you make it known to
me.
4“Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?Tell me, if you have
understanding.
5Who determined its measurements—surely you know!Or who stretched the line upon it?
6On what were its bases sunk,or who laid its cornerstone,
7when the morning stars sang togetherand all the sons of God shouted for joy?
8“Or who shut in the sea with doorswhen it burst out from the womb,
9when I made clouds its garmentand thick darkness its swaddling band,
10and prescribed limits for itand set bars and doors,
11and said, ‘Thus far shall you come, and no farther,and here shall your proud waves be stayed’?

No comments: