April 30, 2007

"Where's The Heart Of Jesus In This?"

You would think a pastor would be having this probing question as he prepares a sermon. But rather, it's a quote from this interview with Kathy Traccoli at Christianity Today.

I think these are two pretty good paragraphs:

I think we have incredible talent out there. I love that you have the Third Days, the Relient Ks and all this amazing array of artists that I never dreamed 25 years ago would happen. I loved that we have the Chris Tomlins that are creating unbelievable contemporary worship for the church. But what I'll always be afraid for—and I challenge myself on this—is to make sure that Jesus and a lot of what he represents is sacred.

All these young groups coming up are finding their way, just like I was. I just hope and pray that we'll continue to have strong ambassadors, strong characters in the Christian music scene. There's such a fine line in the business and the ministry, I don't think you can ever truly combine the two. There's always an element of Madison Avenue that has to happen. I pray that we don't lose ourselves to the point where we have to ask, "Where's the heart of Jesus in this?"

2 comments:

Bradsher Family to Namibia said...

I grew up a Southern Baptist where Old Hymns were the way, and the only way. I am now in a Southern Baptist church that has the please all "Blended Service".

The comment of most of the more traditional and older congregants is that the contemporary music today is not worship music, and it definitely has no place in the worship service.

I agree that not all should, but I also know that there are lots of songs out that are deeply rooted in theology, some more so that the old hymns of yesterday.

I still enjoy old hymns, but I also enjoy the new as well. God gave us gifts to which can and should bring him Glory, and I think to suppress these songs and say they are not worthy for worship service is wrong.

Marc Backes said...

I agree...and I think that as long as a song has Jesus at its core, it has a place..

Now, what I don't have an affinity for are songs that could just as easily be sung to "Allah" as they could to Jesus (i.e. "You Raise Me Up" by Josh Grobin)...

We need to put more truth in songs, not more ambiguity.