April 03, 2007

I've Finished Reading "The Treasure Principle"


Overall, a really good book by Randy Alcorn. He challenges the reader to truly think about why God has given you the resources He has. Is it so you can life a life of comfort and ease and cruise on into retirement (John Piper has something to say about that tragedy). Or is it because He expects and wants you to use your finances to glorify Him.

Randy gives six principles that he expounds upon greatly and then has 31 questions at the end of the book to guide you through finding out what God would have you do about your finances.

His 6 Treasure Principles are:
  1. God owns everything. I'm His money manager
  2. My heart always goes where I put God's money
  3. Heaven, not Earth is my home
  4. I should live not for the dot, but for the line
  5. Giving is the only antitode to materialism
  6. God prospers me not to raise my standard of living, but rather my standard of giving

This book also shares a bit of Randy's personal story and what led him to write this book. Overall, a very good and short read (100 pages). Small book though so you could easily get through it in a day.

No comments: