March 29, 2007

Things A Father Can Teach You

As most of you know, I am a huge John Piper fan. His weekly church newsletter called "Taste & See" is a treasure trove of biblical truth for those that care to read them.

His article this week was about things he had learned from his father. His dad, a longtime evangelist, had recently passed away and he wanted to share what he had learned as he read through his father's papers.

In that same vein, I wanted to share some things that I have learned from my dad. He's a good man, a former Marine, who grew up with nothing. He's made his mistakes for sure, but he's also a dear friend of mine now. It wasn't always that way, but I've really come to love and appreciate him more in these recent years. Below are the things that I believe my dad has taught me:

  1. Do the right things, the right way, and money and success will never cease to follow you.
    • "Although I'm not doing what I'm doing now for either of the reasons above, the principle is still very much the same. I think what my dad was getting at was to do things with excellence. Do them as hard as you can, as well as you can, and you'll never have to regret anything in your life."
  2. If you're going to let a man put food on your table, then you better be willing to do whatever the man asks you to do.
    • Oh how I wish young people today would learn this attitude. My dad knew that in the end, if you work for someone, you are to do what they ask. If you don't want to do what they ask you to do, then find another place to work. He's a very wise man from the country sticks of Missouri, but he knew that to be obedient is a priceless virtue.
  3. Think about what you're doing
    • Don't just off half baked and start something and then leave it half-finished. Do it right the first time. Take pride in your work and who you are as a person. Make sure you never have to be ashamed of the life you've lived.
  4. Be Generous
    • My dad is one of the most generous people I know. He is always the life of the party and he always wants to be the host of the party. He's always been hospitable and he's always given anybody anything they've ever asked of him. He's a model of giving away what you have and enjoying life with other people. My dad is a unique person in that he never wants to be alone, but yet he finds pleasure in solitude.
  5. Never talk politics or religion
    • Ok, so I'm letting my dad down here. I don't talk politics much, but my faith is who I am and what I do. I want to talk about it and I want to share it. I hope he can forgive me for not being obedient to this one.
You know as I look at the list above and think about it, I can see Biblical principles my dad was teaching me even though he didnt' know it and wasn't a tremendously religious person himself. I love him dearly. And I think he's happy as he lives in his 60's. Here's a picture of him and his new wife Janice. They are great people and they are loving life together right now. Thank you Dad, for all that you've taught me and for the friend that you have been, are, and will continue to be.

No comments: