March 18, 2007

I've Finished Reading "The Reformation - How A Monk And A Mallet Changed The World"



Overall, a good book. A short read (150 pages). The book gives very short biographical sketches of the main reformers of the 1600's and 1700's (Luther, Calvin, Zwingli and others)

It also talked about some of the main theological distinctives among the different Reformer groups (Lutherans, Anabaptists, Mennonites, etc).

It really was an informative read, one I would recommend...my favorite part of the book was when it talked about Luther's Earthy side. And while it was his 95 Theses that changed the church forever, he was also human. After reading his biographical sketch, I feel like I can really identify with him. The book talked about the fact that Luther wasn't always proper and gave a quote that I have to include here:

But I resist the devil, and often it is with a fart that I chase him away
What a quote!

No comments: