January 08, 2008

Resolved (Day 5)

We had quite a night last night here in Southwest Missouri. I don't think I've ever experienced ten straight hours of being under a tornado warning. It was a long, tense, and exhausting evening.

Today I want to take a look at three of Edwards resolutions that essentially (I think) deal with the same issue.

#7 – Resolved: Never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do if it were the last hour of my life.

#17 – Resolved: That I will live so, as I shall wish I had done when I come to die.

#19 – Resolved: Never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if I expected it would not be above an hour before I should hear the last trump.

Do we realize how precious life is? Do we understand how fast it can disappear? Last night was a perfect example of how quickly life can be taken from us. Two people in Southwest Missouri died in the tornadoes and all reports talked about the fact that it was over in an instant. Edward understood this. After all, he is the guy who wrote "Sinners in the hands of an angry God".

He understood that we are not promised tomorrow nor should we assume that we will be around to see it. And it was this understanding that caused him to take pause about all that he did.

How many times have you asked yourself the question "If I had 24 hours to live – what would I do?".

I think it's a great question. I think it forces you to think about what is important. I doubt many of us would go about the same routine we have today.

What relatives would you call to say things you wish you had said years ago? How would your actions toward your wife or your children change? Would the little things that people do that drive you nuts suddenly seem unimportant because it was the last time you were going to see them?

Would you live differently? Would you lead differently? Would you love differently? Would the Bible take on a new perspective for you? Would prayer suddenly seem great?

Here's the thing. That's how you're called to live every day because you are not guaranteed tomorrow. You're not even guaranteed next hour.

So I'll pose this challenge to you as you read this and go about your day. If you knew you were going to die an hour from now, what would you spend the next 60 minutes on?

The clock is ticking.

No comments: