November 07, 2007

Acts 29 Quarterly And All Things Tuesday

Yesterday was a great day in many respects. A beautiful day to drive from Ozark to St. Louis to Jefferson City back to Ozark. I love drive times alone with God.

The Acts29 quarterly was great as usual. Preaching was the topic. Highlights were:

  • Jonathan McIntosh challenging us to examine our weaknesses in our preaching. He talked about three streams and how it is vital for preachers to be good in all three streams. He shared rightly that most folks default to one stream but that we needed to listen to guys from all three streams. The three he hit on were:
    • Normative – Truth focused (John MacArthur, John Piper, et all) – What to I want people to know or believe?
    • Existential – Emotion Focused (Martin Lloyd Jones – CJ Mahaney) – What do I want people to feel?
    • Situational – Action Focused (Andy Stanley – Rick Warren) – What do I want people to do?
  • Catching up and sitting with Steve Easterwood from FBC Lake St. Louis.
  • Having a chance to talk with Bob Werner about planting Eternity. Bob's first pastorate was in Jefferson City. He had many good words.
  • Listening to Darrin Patrick, Ron Cathcart, John Ryan, and a great guy who I can't for the life of me remember his name (although he won a preaching award from Covenant Theological Seminary) answer questions about preaching ranging from:
    • How they prepare for their sermons?
    • How much time do they prepare?
    • What is their best advice for guys who are trying to find their voice?
    • Their advice on building preaching teams
    • Their thoughts on use of certain language in sermons
    • Their thoughts on being a communicator for God on Sunday morning
  • Getting to say hi once again to Maxedon, Sam, Brian, Trey, and meeting Mike Hubbard and Marc Sikma

It was then time to head to Jefferson City and have a meeting with some folks about Eternity. For those who are just catching up, I am in the process of planting a church in the next 12 – 18 months named Eternity and Jefferson City is where that church will be. Last night's meeting was great. From everyone I've talked to, the area is in desperate need of a Gospel centered, culturally sensible church.

With every discussion I have about Eternity, I grow more excited and nauseous at the same time. I am growing increasingly aware how huge of a task it will be. I am also realizing with each day how great God is, how ignorant and sinful I am, and how I am in dire straits if God isn't driving this train.

But as each day goes by, Eternity becomes more and more a reality and the path to reality a little more clear.

It was a good day. Let's see what today holds!

1 comment:

Sarah Jo Austin said...

Wanna know something funny? I know Steve Easterwood's son Jarrod. We did Super Summer and West Central Baptist Association youth camp together in high school.