September 14, 2007

If You Can’t Say Amen – You Oughta Say Ouch

I've started reading Voddie Baucham's latest book "Family Driven Faith" and I got to tell you. I'm only one chapter in and he has flat stepped all over my toes. Which he has a habit of sometimes doing.

The book, I believe, is a call to the American family to take up its God-given responsibility for the spiritual training, life, and vitality of the family and also to take that responsibility seriously.

For those of you who have ever heard Voddie preach, you know he doesn't mince words, he's direct and to the point, and he's also one of the smartest human beings out there. Besides that, he's big enough to take you out as well, so there's definitely a respect factor there. He writes this in his book on page 29:

"There are many worthwhile pursuits in this world, but few of them rise to the level of training our children to follow the Lord and keep His commandments. I desperately want my sons and daughters to walk with God, and I am willing to do whatever it takes, whatever the Bible says I must do in order to be used by God as a means to do that end. My prayer for you is that God would awaken in you that same passion"

Next week, my blog posts will be dedicated to some of the strong statements Voddie makes in the first chapter. They are provocative. They are strong. But in the end, I think they are right. If you haven't seen this book or heard about it, you need to read it. Next week should be interesting. We'll have some interesting material to cover.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marc,

I have read this book and it is awesome. One should invest in steel toe boots when reading this book.

Michael Morton

Anonymous said...

I smell what you're stepping in!